Making the decision on which best power washer to buy can be difficult, especially if one does not know what to look out for. But you don’t have to worry so much, it is not a problem that is insurmountable. I will give you just enough information to help you choose the best power washer your money can buy and the best for the purposes for which you are acquiring one.
What should you look out for before you make your purchase?
The first thing you should probably know is that the term power washer and pressure washer are now being used interchangeable, but that was not the case in the past. It used to be that power washers are pressure washers that have the capability of streaming out both hot and cold water to meet with whatever the requirements of specific cleaning job is, while pressure washer refers to those that we now call cold pressure washer.
What I am saying is not that the power washer changes temperature automatically, but that you can set the temperature to whatever your cleaning requirements are.
Having said that, below are the things you should consider before you purchase your power washer:
- Fittings: By fittings, I mean what connects the water source to the input and the wand to the output. Brass fittings is the best, but most power washers come with plastic fittings. Because of the high pressure that is necessary for the operation of a power washer, these plastic fittings come apart in a short time. However, these fittings are usually replaceable, so it is advisable that you replace the plastic fittings with brass.
- Centre of gravity: If possible, you should choose a power washer with low centre of gravity. That is, one that will not fall off easily during operation, especially when you are rounding the corner. However, this is not a deal breaker.
- Sound and Vibrations: The sound and vibrations should be minimal. You don’t want to damage your ears from continued use. Also, concerning the vibrations, you don’t want a power washer that tips your wares off the rack or that gets damaged from severe vibrations.
- Hose length and durability: Depending on the task you want to achieve, you will need a power washer of sufficient hose length and one that is neither stiff nor has a lot of kinks. Stiff hose or one with kinks result in leaks and this reduces the pressure generated by the power washer.
- Gas or Electric: It is good that you know that while electric power washer may be more expensive than gas power washer of similar capacity, the latter is high maintenance. Gas power washer have the advantage that they can have PSIs that are as high as 4000, while the highest PSI for electric pressure washer lies in the neighbourhood of 2000. However, electric power washers give zero emission, hence are safe to use indoor.If you are opting for Gas power washer, it is advisable that you choose one with a low-oil alarm or low-oil shutdown. It will serve to protect and prolong the life of your unit and you can get more value for your money that way.
- Pound per square inch (PSI): This is the true measure of the capability of the power washer’s engine. It is a measure of the pressure generated by the engine. The PSI of the best power washers ranges in thousands. The garden hose has a PSI of about 40, while a light-duty power washer engine can rangeup to 1700 PSI; the middle-duty, about 1700 to 2800 PSI, while heavy-duty engines generate over 2800 PSI.Choose your engine’s PSI according to the duties you will be using the power washer to perform.
- Gallon per minute (GPM): This is a measure of the pump’s capacity. It is the amount of water that the pump can deliver in one minute and it gives you an idea of how fast jobs can be done with a particular power washer.
My Recommendations on the best power washer
Generac 6596 2800 PSI 2.5 GPM 196cc OHV
- This heavy-duty gas power washer, with 2800 PSI engine and axial cam 2.5 GPM pump, is very easy to use and has a unique foot rest to stabilize the unit during start-up.
- The axial cam pump is equipped with easy access connections that does not call for you kneeling on the ground. That is an advantage there.
- The spray gun is ergonomic with its soft grip and easy to pull trigger that provide comfort during prolong use.
- The power washer has four quick click nozzle tips (0 degree,25 degree ,45 degree and soap) and this gives you alternatives to match your varying preferences.
- With the ¾ gal. detergent holder, you don’t have to hurl around sloppy detergent bucket, while the 25 ft PVC hose offers you considerable working radius.
- The never flat oversized tires enhance mobility on different terrains.
- The low-oil shutdown prevents your unit’s engine from knocking and preserves the life of your power washer.
Karcher K 3.540 X-Series with 25-Foot Hose
- Heat build-up is a bane of any power washer. Therefore, having a unique patented water cooled induction motor in this unit is welcome advantage that not only confers superior performance but also longer life on the power washer.
- This electric power washer, with 1800 PSI engine, is equipped with two different types of spray wands; the dirt blaster spray wand which increases effectiveness by 50 % can be used for very tough jobs and the vario power spray wand in which the pressure of the unit can be adjusted right from the wand.
- There is quick connect adapters for both the garden hose and the trigger gun and this saves you up to 75 % in start-up time.
- The trigger gun is fitted with child safety; a big advantage.
- The unit also has a 25 ft high pressure hose and an on-board detergent tank.
Powerworks 51102 with Quiet Induction Motor
- This is one of the very few products with a low centre of gravity. So balanced on the ground that you need not be afraid of it falling off during operation.
- A light-duty washer with 1700 PSI engine and 1.4 GPM pump, it has 35 ft power cord with ground fault circuit interrupter. This power cord is also equipped with a ‘hook and loop’ strap for easy control.
- There is a quick connect for the wand, and the 25 ft hose offers a substantial working radius while you do some deep cleaning with a different detergent in each of the two on-board soap tanks.
With all the information given, I know you will have no problem in choosing your best power washer. You should buy any of the recommendations that fits your need, you will enjoy your purchase. They are the best of the bests, the bestsellers of power washers.